Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Around the World in 90 Hours

The process to obtain a visitor visa to China is pretty simple. You fill out a 2-page form and pay the fee and you’ve got it.

The visitor visas are only valid for 60 days, and do not technically allow one to work, so I am in the process of obtaining an employment license (EL). This visa requires a Z visa, a special single-entry visa for the purpose of obtaining an EL. The Z visa is much difficult to obtain, requiring formal company sponsorship, a health exam certified by a doctor in Beijing (including ECG, chest X-ray, and full bloodwork), etc.

Further, due to the tight controls surrounding the Olympics, the process of obtaining a Z visa has gotten more difficult. Previously you could get one at any consulate outside of China, including Hong Kong. They changed this rule the week I arrived in Beijing; now you can only get one from the consulate in your country of origin. This means a flight back to the US for the sole purpose of getting a visa to fly to China.

I did this this weekend. From the time I left Beijing to when I returned was 90 hours. Of those 90 hours, 38 were spent in transit, eg, in taxis, airports, and planes. It was one of the strangest and most absurd trips I’ve taken. It’s hard to believe all the money and other resources that went into satisfying one stupid rule.

On the upside I got to see Rob, Neville, and Janette. And MC Hammer, of course. Neville invited me as his second guest (his +2) to a pretty cool Facebook party at the Metreon. I think 80% of Facebook employees are younger than I am. For some reason, MC Hammer was at the party as a guest. We got a picture, natch.

My next trip to the US is only a month away, for Armen’s wedding. Unfortunately I’ll have to fly coach. I’ve been spoiled by business class and I dread the downgrade. But it’s gonna be a lot of fun and I’ll get to see even more friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment